In search of something interesting to cook this week I turned to my Ely cooking "bible"--a cookbook the Ely Nevada Stake Relief Society put together back in the 70's. The book is famous around these parts. From Tooele to Alamo, people talk about these recipes. I have stories. Anyway, I stumbled upon this recipe hidden in the sauerkraut section and thought it might give you all a good laugh like it did me. Beware, it's cheesy. Heh, heh.
1 large field
1/2 dozen children
2 or 3 small dogs
Pinch of brook and some pebbles
Mix the children and dogs well together; put them on the field, stirring constantly. Pour the brook over the pebbles. Sprinkle the field with flowers. Spread overall a deep blue sky and bake in the sun. When brown, set in the bathtub to cool.
Yup, it's really in there. The good old Ely cooking bible. The recipes that follow are "How to Preserve a Husband" and "Husband Conserve." I'll post these if anyone is interested. :) There are some great small town recipe gems in here such as, "Tuna and Cornbread Casserole" and "Green Tomato Mincemeat." Yum. Now that I've mocked something many hold sacred in my desert village I'll do the cookbook some justice and post a good recipe it contains. More to come. . .
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Okay, I have never heard of that cookbook but I want to hear more. That was funny.
Post a Comment